Complete tooth loss, or edentulism, decreased for Australians in the late 1990s, but dental problems in general increased, particularly for government concession card-holders, according to a report published today by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW).
The report, Oral Health and Access to Dental Care-1994-96 and 1999, shows that the mean number of missing teeth also decreased, as did denture use, but this was not the case for adults who were government concession card-holders.
Director of the AIHW Dental Statistics and Research Unit, Professor John Spencer, said that the evidence indicated that card-holders were experiencing more dental problems than before.
'Our survey figures show that health card-holders in particular are experiencing more toothache, discomfort with dental appearance and avoidance of particular foods in 1999 than in 1994-96', Professor Spencer said.
'The report also shows that while the overall percentage of adults visiting dentists changed little from 1994-96 to 1999, access to dental care by card-holders has deteriorated.
'Of the eligible card-holders who received dental care in 1999, less than 40% had their last dental visit at a public clinic, while the remaining 60% sought care at a private dentist at their own expense, even though they were eligible for public treatment.
'Affordability is an issue. In 1999, 39.3% of card-holders who last visited a public clinic said cost had prevented them from proceeding with recommended or wanted dental treatment in the previous 12 months.
'This was a marked increase on the 28.2% figure for 1994-96. Card-holders are less likely to have dental insurance to help cover costs.'
Professor Spencer said it was also a concern that a slight reduction in the percentage of adults receiving fillings in the previous 12 months (49% down to 46%) was unlikely to be due to a reduction in dental disease. This was because the percentage of people receiving extractions had risen (from 14% to 17%).
The rise in extractions was particularly pronounced in 25-44-year-olds (14% rising to 19%) and among card-holders (16% to 23% for private treatment, and 30% to 33% for publicly-funded treatment).
'There is a need to intervene in the high rate of extractions in young adults and health-card holders if the oral health of adults is to be improved', Professor Spencer said.
We'd love to know any feedback that you have about the AIHW website, its contents or reports.
The browser you are using to browse this website is outdated and some features may not display properly or be accessible to you. Please use a more recent browser for the best user experience.