Dementia is a significant and growing health and aged care issue in Australia that has a substantial impact on the health and quality of life of people with the condition, as well as for their family and friends. This online report provides a comprehensive picture of dementia in Australia, including the latest statistics on dementia prevalence, burden of disease, deaths, expenditure, as well as the use of health and aged care services among people with dementia and information on carers of people with dementia.
- Cat. no: DEM 2
Dementia in Australia: 2022 Summary
The Dementia in Australia: 2022 Summary report presents a snapshot of key findings from the Dementia in Australia online report as at December 2022.
Contents of this report:
- Carrie's story: A diagnosis of dementia can impact the affected person, their friends, families and carers. Read Carrie's story about becoming a carer to her husband, while also raising a young family.
- Len's story: Dementia has a deep impact on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. Learn about Len, an Aboriginal elder, who returned to his community after being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Martina's story: Living with the early stages of dementia can be challenging. Read about Martina's experience with being diagnosed with Lewy body dementia and how her life has changed since.
- Lucy's story: Dementia can also impact young people. Lucy shares how she is able to keep doing what she enjoys after being diagnosed with a rare type of dementia common in her family.
- Jim's story: Many people with dementia prefer to live independently in the community. Jim has Alzheimer’s disease and lives at home on his own. Read about how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected him, his family and the services he receives.
- GP and specialist services overview
- GP consultations, management plans and medication reviews
- Specialist consultations and other health services
- Dementia-specific GP consultations
- Prescriptions for dementia-specific medications
- Antipsychotics and other medications dispensed to people with dementia
- Prescribers of dementia-specific medications
- Hospital care
- Understanding dementia among First Nations people
- Population health impacts of dementia among First Nations people
- Burden of disease due to dementia among First Nations people
- Hospital care for First Nations people with dementia
- Aged care service use by First Nations people with dementia
- First Nations-specific health and aged care programs and caring roles among First Nations people
- Dementia among people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Cultural and linguistic diversity among Australians who died with dementia
- Dementia among people with intellectual disabilities
- Dementia among veterans
- Dementia in the LGBTIQ+ community.