Dementia in priority groups
Australians living with dementia come from diverse backgrounds and have unique and variable needs for services and support. As the prevalence of dementia continues to increase, the rising proportion of care users with special needs and preferences have become a stronger focus of the aged care sector (Australian Government 2019).
The following pages present statistics and information on:
- Understanding dementia among First Nations people
- Population health impacts of dementia among First Nations people
- Burden of disease due to dementia among First Nations people
- Hospital care for First Nations people with dementia
- Aged care service use by First Nations people with dementia
- First Nations-specific health and aged care programs and caring roles among First Nations people
- Dementia among people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Cultural and linguistic diversity among Australians who died with dementia
- Dementia among people with intellectual disabilities
- Dementia among veterans
- Dementia in the LGBTIQ+ community.
Refer to the Technical notes for more information on the data sources and methods used to examine dementia in priority population groups.