For the most up to date information on COVID-19 please visit the Department of Health website. Learn more about how the AIHW is assisting the COVID-19 response and how our other work is affected. Our Covid-19 related resources page includes a list of some existing resources which may be useful when researching issues related to COVID-19.
Both the number of cases and the rates of Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia (SAB)— or 'golden staph'—have fallen in Australian public hospitals, according to a report released today by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW).
'SAB is a serious bloodstream infection that can be associated with hospital care,' said AIHW spokesperson Jenny Hargreaves.
The report, Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia in Australian public hospitals 2014–15: Australian hospital statistics, shows that between 2010–11 and 2014–15, the number of SAB cases reported in Australian public hospitals decreased by 21%, from 1,876 to 1,490 cases.
Over the same period, the national rate of SAB infections decreased from 1.10 cases to 0.77 cases per 10,000 days of patient care. This was below the national benchmark of no more than 2.0 SAB cases per 10,000 days of patient care.
'All states and territories recorded rates below the national benchmark,' Ms Hargreaves said.
Rates were higher than the national average in Principal referral hospitals—that is, hospitals that provide a very broad range of services, including some highly specialised services where there is a greater likelihood of SAB risk than at other hospitals.
Overall, the majority (78%) of SAB cases were treatable with commonly used antibiotics, while the remainder (22%) were antibiotic resistant.
'The number of cases that were antibiotic resistant fell between 2010–11 and 2014–15—from 505 to 331 cases,' Ms Hargreaves said.
The AIHW is a major national agency set up by the Australian Government to provide reliable, regular and relevant information and statistics on Australia's health and welfare.
We'd love to know any feedback that you have about the AIHW website, its contents or reports.
The browser you are using to browse this website is outdated and some features may not display properly or be accessible to you. Please use a more recent browser for the best user experience.