In 2017–18, organisations providing Indigenous primary health services saw around 483,000 clients. Of these:
- 46% were male clients and 53% were female clients
- 24% (117,300 clients) were seen in Outer regional areas
- 29% (140,700 clients) were seen in Queensland, followed by 24% (116,100) in New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory combined
- 85% (409,800 clients) were seen in ACCHSs and 15% (73,300 clients) in other organisations
- 81% (391,900 clients) were Indigenous, representing half (50%) the total Indigenous population of Australia, estimated by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) to be around 777,800 in June 2018 (ABS 2014).
The following data visualisation provides more information on the clients seen by these organisations.
ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics) 2014. Estimates and projections, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, 2001 to 2026. ABS cat. no. 3238.0. Canberra: ABS.