This content contains information some readers may find distressing as it refers to information about family, domestic and sexual violence. If the information presented raises any issues for you, or someone you know, contact 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732. See also Find support for a list of support services.

Family, domestic and sexual violence Home

Responses and outcomes


FDSV reported to police

Topic last updated: | See what’s been updated

Police may be contacted following an incident of family, domestic or sexual violence (FDSV). This can be done by a victim-survivor, witness or other person and, if considered a criminal offence may be recorded as a crime by police.

To understand the current extent of police involvement in FDSV incidents in Australia, data on level of reporting to police (available from the Personal Safety Survey) are examined alongside Recorded Crime data in the following pages:

FDV reported to police

Sexual assault reported to police

  1. Previous page Helplines and related support services
  2. Next page FDV reported to police