What carer support services are available?
Carers of people with dementia may require additional support for the emotional and financial challenges they may face in their role.
The Australian Government has established a Carers Gateway to disseminate information, resources and support services available to carers.
The services include, but are not limited to:
- phone counselling
- carers’ forum where carers can connect to each other
- online carer coaching
- carer skills courses
- respite services
- information and links to financial support available (DSS 2020).
Carers Australia is the national peak body representing Australia’s unpaid carers, advocating on their behalf to influence policies and services at a national level. The organisation provides support for carers through advocacy, advice and information.
Carers Australia aims to:
- advocate for policy and service actions that support the caring role and enhance the health, wellbeing, resilience and financial security of carers
- advocate for the inclusion of carers as a priority group within mainstream and specialist service programs
- advocate for having caring recognised as a shared responsibility of family, community, business and government, with the aim of achieving improved outcomes for carers
- undertake other policy, advocacy and service actions which the Carers Australia Board considers to be of benefit to carers.
Carers Australia also provides support for young carers through the Young Carers Network, where members can learn about support services, access resources and share their stories and opinions. In addition, the organisation has collaborated with SANE Australia to offer a free and anonymous forum which allows users to share stories and information to help find positive pathways through their experiences caring for people with mental health issues.
The Dementia Carers Australia website provides insight into dementia care for people who are caring for their family or friends with dementia. The website also allows for carers to share their stories, ideas and resources to assist each other and remain connected while taking on the carer role. The Dementia Carers Australia website is run by Dementia Reframed, a not-for-profit organisation aimed at improving information about living with dementia, and supporting carers of people with dementia.