This collection includes the major national hospitals databases held by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW), including:
- The National Hospital Morbidity Database (NHMD), a compilation of episode-level records from admitted patient morbidity data collection systems in Australian public and private hospitals.
- The National Public Hospital Establishments Database (NPHED), which holds information on public hospital resources and includes information reported for public hospitals, Local hospital networks (LHNs) and state and territory health authorities.
- The National Non-admitted Patient Emergency Department Care Database (NNAPEDCD), a compilation of episode-level records (including waiting times for care) for non-admitted patients registered for care in emergency departments in selected public hospitals.
- The National Elective Surgery Waiting Times Data Collection (NESWTDC), which holds episode-level information on patients added to or removed from elective surgery waiting lists managed by public hospitals.
- The National Non-Admitted Patient Care (aggregate) Database (NNAP(agg)D), which holds clinic-level information on non-admitted patient care provided by public hospitals, LHNs and selected other public hospital services managed by state and territory health authorities.
- The National Non-admitted Patient (episode-level) Database (NNAP(el)D), which holds episode-level information on non-admitted patient care provided by public hospitals, LHNs and selected other public hospital services managed by state and territory health authorities.
- 1/1/2011-30/6/2013: The National Emergency Access Target Database (NEATD) is a compilation of electronic records of non-admitted patient service episodes for the purposes of reporting the National Emergency Access Targets as part of the National Partnership Agreement on Improving Public Hospital Services.
- 1/1/2011-30/6/2015: The National Elective Surgery Targets Database (NESTD) is census and removal elective surgery waiting list entries for the purposes of reporting the National Elective Surgery Targets as part of the National Partnership Agreement on Improving Public Hospital Services.
- 2005-2013: National collection of occasions of service provided in outpatient clinics of public hospitals that are classified as either principal referral and specialist women’s and children’s hospitals and large hospitals (Peer Group A or B) as reported in the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare’s Australian Hospital Statistics publication from the preceding financial year.
From 1/7/1993 to 30/6/2019
National and state
Client specified tables on request which may be subject to data provider approval (charges apply).
Restricted unit record access subject to Ethics Committee approval and/or the agreement of all relevant data custodians in all states and territories (charges may apply).
Restrictions and limitations govern the availability or use of other data in this holding.
The scope of data held under the National Hospitals Data Collection vary by database and over time. Please refer to the relevant metadata for further information.
Refer to the following METEOR items for relevant National Minimum Data Sets (NMDS) and Data Set Specification (DSS) information:
External links and information
Data for this collection are published regularly in the Australian hospital statistics suite of publications and related products.
Data quality statements for individual databases are also published on METEOR.