In collaboration with the Australian Government Department of Health, the AIHW provides ad hoc advice, data verification services and supportive evidence to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
This collaboration includes the regular coordination and supply of health and health-related data for:
- OECD Health Data Questionnaire,
- OECD Joint Questionnaire on Non-Monetary Health Care Statistics, and
- OECD Health Care Quality Indicators.
These OECD Questionnaires collect data across OECD countries to supply to the OECD Health Database. This database provides a comprehensive source of comparable statistics on health and health systems across OECD countries, and may be used as a tool to carry out comparative analyses.
Some of the data supplied by the AIHW for OECD Health Data are collated in the biennial OECD Health at a Glance publication.
OECD Health Data Questionnaire
The AIHW submits annual data for Australia for the OECD Health Data Questionnaire against a set list of measures. These measures cover a range of topics:
- Health Status, including data on mortality and morbidity
- Non-Medical Determinants of Health, including data on lifestyles and behaviour (including body weight)
- Remuneration of Health Professionals
- Waiting Times (for a selected set of surgical procedures)
- Pharmaceutical Market, including pharmaceutical consumption and sales
- Long-Term Care Resources and Utilisation
- Social Protection, including private health insurance coverage
OECD Joint Questionnaire on Non-Monetary Health Care Statistics
The AIHW also submits annual data for Australia for the OECD Joint Questionnaire on Non-Monetary Health Care Statistics against a set list of measures. These measures cover a range of topics:
- Health employment and education
- Health workforce migration
- Physical and technical resources, including measures relating to hospitals and medical technology
- Health care activities, including measures relating to preventative health programs for immunisation and screening, and to hospital and primary care activity
OECD Health Care Quality Indicators
The AIHW submits biennial data for the OECD Health Care Quality Indicators against a set list of measures. These measures cover a range of topics:
- Primary care – avoidable hospital separations
- Primary care – prescribing
- Acute care
- Patient safety
- Patient experience
The AIHW produces summary reports and data against OECD health and health system measures for Australia. For more information, see the International comparisons page.